What is Ozone?
Oxygen & Ozone (Image: NCAR / COMET)
Ozone is a molecule consisting of 3 atoms of Oxygen, bonded together. Ozone is an important greenhouse gas, forming a protective "blanket" in the stratosphere. The Ozone Layer helps to block harmful UV rays entering Earth's atmosphere from the Sun.
Atmospheric Chemistry Links:
- Ozone (NOAA)
- Ground-Level Ozone (EPA)
- "Good up high, Bad nearby" publication (EPA)
- How Ozone is Made (NASA)
- How Ozone is Destroyed (NASA) 2
- Environmental Chemistry (Wikipedia)
- Space-based Measurements of Ozone and Air Quality (NASA)
- Global Sulfur Dioxide Measurements map (NASA)
- Finnish Meteorological Institute